Learning the Terms of Wedding Invitations

Shopping for your  wedding   invitations  can include learning terminology related to their  design , paper, printing, size, color, etc. Who knew there was so much to know beyond the wording and what enclosure pieces to include.

Here are the details for just some of the terms you may come across:

  •  Invitation  Card – simply a flat card with no folds and the verse printed on the front.
  • Embossing – creating a raised design by using a printing method that presses an image into the paper. The design can then be emphasized with colored ink. If no ink is used on the raised design, it is referred to as blind embossing. When the design appears as indented into the paper, this is called debossing.
  • Foil Stamping – the special technique of hot stamping metallic colored foil onto paper.
  • Deckle Edge – a unique, feathery edge on a piece of paper commonly seen on parchment  wedding   invitations .
  • Ecru – a familiar  invitation  paper color that is a warm creamy beige.
  • Pearlize – the addition of a shimmering pearl-like finish usually to an embossed  design  area of the  invitation .
  • Filigree – lacelike decorative pattern that can appear as part of a  wedding   invitation   design .
  • Tea Length – a style of  invitation  that is either horizontal or vertical and is typically 9 ¼” x 4″ in size.
  • Translucent – a term that is used to describe paper that is somewhat see-through and is often times used in layered  invitation   designs .
  • Vellum – paper with a rich, smooth finish.
  • Linen – paper featuring a cross weave texture.

As the saying goes, the more you know the better, especially when it comes to  wedding   invitations . It is also helpful to see actual samples to know which of these elements you may prefer to have as part of your  wedding   invitation   design .